The California Delta
More than half of all Californians rely on a single source for fresh water: the California Delta watershed.
Once an inland sea, the 1,100-square mile California Delta watershed provides an estimated 7 million acre feet of water per year.
- California's largest single source of fresh water.
- The largest estuary on the west coast of the Americas.
- Nearly half the total river flow in the entire state.
- Feeds the largest water delivery systems on earth.
- Home to 750 distinct species of plants and animals.